Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Stockholm Sweden

Stockholm is a beautiful city, very clean both architecturally and literally.  It is set on a series of islands which create lovely waterfronts all over the place.  The above picture is of the most expensive apartments in the city.  The tour guide told us they went for $14,000 per square meter, which I believe equates to $4,666 a square foot.

Since Stockholm has such great water ways, I took a boat tour to get situated.  Unfortunately, upon my late Friday night arrival I found out about my job loss back at home so most of my time here was spent in a daze - trying to enjoy the city but also trying to not lose my mind.

Stockholm is an incredibly old city, if I remember correctly it was founded in the early 1200's so there is a great old town.  This is also a town of many, many museums so I spent much of my time strolling the streets of the old town.  There were many tourists on the larger streets but it was very easy to take a side street and drift away into the maze of old buildings.

Church in Old Town Center

I have become completely obsessed with the doors of Europe...they are just so intricate and lovely.  Especially church doors..so many more photos of doors to come! 

This is the Grand Hotel, the reddish building

Parliment

Church tower in old town

Some of the most amazing experiences happen to me while wondering around on Sunday mornings...In Rome I stumbled upon the Popes Mass, and in Stockholm I ran into a military band parade at the Royal Palace.  The soldiers marched around and played music for about an hour.

I see why Sweden stays out of military conflicts, their soldiers are very pretty!  After spending my summers with our military, these guys look pretty wimping to me.  One thing I havent mentioned yet is the fact that usually in each country I travel to, the majority of people resemble each other quite a bit.  This was very true in Sweden, it felt like the land of Ken and Barbie, everyone tall and blonde.  Being an American, I didnt realize how we are ethnic "muts," now while I travel I end up spending lots of time on planes and in airports.  I like to guess where people are from based on their looks and language - super exciting I know!

The main square in Old Town, I was sitting on a bench after taking this picture when I heard the military band playing.



This is my hotel, The Berns.  It was the first somewhat "modern" hotel I have stayed in since I can remember.  Its marketed as a "rock and roll" hotel, apparently lots of musicians stay here when they are in town, however I didnt spot any but it was a great hotel.

I was so excited to see this familiar name on a Sunday morning stroll!  I was super hungry since most hotels charge a crazy amount for breakfast and I ended up eating at this cute little cafe.

I found these cute little wool angels in an adorable shop, wool products are really popular in Stockholm.  I plan on giving them to my little Sundberg angels Sam and Jo, much better present than the tacky ones that are sold everywhere!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun place. It would be cool to do a photo collage of just doors from this summer. Little details like that always get me! I love your observation on the way people look in the different countries you visit. It seems like since many countries over there are small and connected that the people would have crossed borders and meshed and mingled and not retain their ethnic look to such a large degree.

    ReplyDelete