Thursday, July 28, 2011

Italy - Sardina and Rome

Sardinia!! Its a fairly large island to the west of Italy in the Mediterranian and word on the street is its where the richest of the rich go to vacation with their yahcts.  This was most evident when I landed at the Olbia airport and counted over 40 private planes.

The island itself is pretty rocky and dry, lots of cactus and not much vegetation or life.  Once you hit the rocky coastline the beaches and water are amazing and I could easily see why many come to vacation.

The hotel I stayed in was lovely and had great pools and was located next to all these wonderful beaches.  The water was perfectly warm and relaxing.  I just stayed at the hotel and walked around in the early am when it was still cool enough to do so comfortably.



The hotel pool overlooking the ocean


After my relaxing weekend in Sardinia, I followed it with another weekend trip to Rome in order to keep the Italian vibe going and it was a great idea!  I love Italy, the people, the language, the food, just about everything!  The weather in Rome was either downpouring rain or the swelttering heat, but I was still able to hit the cobblestoned roads and see the sights!

Trevi Fountain

Spanish steps

View of "the main" street for shopping from the Spanish Steps...this is where Gucci, Fendi, Chanel, and Louis Vuittion live.

For the weekend I used a hop on hop off bus tour which takes you to all the main attractions.  Unfortuantely my headphones didnt work so I didnt get the specifics but my explanation is that there is just lots of old stuff everywhere.  Im sure some buildings and churches are more important than others, but I just soaked it all in without the details.

One of the best by chance experiences was being at St. Peters Square during Sunday Mass.  They put up big screen televisions to broadcast what the Pope was saying and people were cheering just like at a concert.  It was a very special moment even for someone who is not religious.










No comments:

Post a Comment