Thursday, July 7, 2011

Long Weekend in Croatia!

I truly fell in love with Dubrovnik, Croatia.  Beautiful weather, water, and architecture is what got me!  I was able to spend 3 days here since I had the July 4th holiday and loved every minute.  This town is located in the very southern part of the country on the Adriatic Sea.  The land is rocky with steep cliffs everywhere which makes this settlement so amazing, it's literally carved into the hills which also limits the growth as it was relatively small in size. The most amazing part of the city was the "Old City" which you can see in the above picture.  Its an anciety walled city and has remained fairly intact considering all the political turmoil and wars that have taken place in the area.

A tram is located just outside the wall and takes you up to the top of the first mountain range, where these pictures were taken.  The views were wonderful but the steep incline is intense and many areas are not fenced off - which would NEVER be allowed in the states.  I braved it in order to take some great photos all the while praying I didnt slip and fall to my death...


Drawbridge entrance to the Old City

The first of many flights of stairs which encompass the old city.  Since the topography is so rocky and steep you are constantly going up and down stairs, although I mostly just remember going up them! 

This is the main "street" in the old city.  No vehicles are allowed within the wall.





The old city is one of the most beautiful places, architecturally speaking, that I have ever been.  Most buildings are extremely old and well preserved.  It felt magical just wandering through the tiny cobblestone pathways and stumbling upon the most gorgeous buildings.  The above photo is of my favorite building.  While I was walking around a wedding party marched down the main street all singing with Croatian flags and entered into the main church for the wedding.

This is the view from my hotel which was only about a mile away from the old city.  Dubrovnik has a great bus system which is perfect for tourists because it stops at all the hotels and takes you right downtown.

This was the street I walked up to get to the tram, both sides are all rock and very narrow!

Before traveling there I remembered hearing that my first name was Yugoslavian but had no idea how popular it really was.  Jana water is all over the place there!  Its like the Coke of water, so I felt very important...

Just my favorite window...so beautiful



One of the narrow pathways in the old city, very charming but also very smelly at times.


This is the view inland from the top of the first mountain range...not much life

Again I cant say enough about what a great place Dubrovnik is...I give it an A+.  At times I felt like I was in another world because everything was just magical.  It wasnt overcrowded, although at times when cruise ships docked it livened up.  It is one of my very favorite places in the world without a doubt.

2 comments:

  1. Any idea where the cruise ships come from? You know, that way jake can meet me there when I fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome... thanks for the tour :) happy to see you are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete