Monday, June 27, 2011

Luxembourg - Little and Lovely

For my first weekend trip I picked Luxembourg as my destination.  Luxembourg is a very small country and the capital of Luxembourg City was only 1 1/2 hours drive from my place.  Unfortunately it was a rainy weekend but I was still able to get out and see the sights.


The above 3 pictures were taken in one of the oldest cities in Germany called Trier. 

Luxembourg City is very beautiful, a deep raveen with a river at the bottom is the main attaction besides the beautiful architecture.  The population of the city is 85,000 so it was very easy to navigate and was not over crowded.  I drove up Saturday, found my hotel and then wandered around town.



In general the architecture is amazing but what I also love is stumbling upon these amazing carvings and/or doors.  They are so intricate and beautiful.  I can only imagine the time it must have taken to create such an amazing piece of art.


Most cities in Europe have a pedistrian zone where no cars are allowed and you can just stroll the streets looking at the local shops and restaurants.  Luxembourg City had a great area for this, probably 5 blocks X 5 blocks and many people were out walking around.

It was a pretty relaxing and enjoyable weekend.  Not to far away so I was able to drive back and have time to prepare for the week.  Driving on the Autobahn is such a treat, the roads are in such great condition and the traffic is minimal, Im assuming because its so expensive.  Gas in Ramstein is over $5 a gallon.  Everything here is super expensive.  I recently found a discount grocery store called Globus to do my everyday shopping but eating at restaurants will cost at least $15 for a normal lunch.  A Whopper meal at Burger King cost $9, same old food as in the states but with a nice price increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment